Who We Are…
Holy Nativity is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Our congregation received its charter in January 1959, with a total of 131 members. Over 60 years later, we’re a community of 700+ believers. As of 2022, the average member age is 46; the most frequently occurring age is 18.
About the ELCA
As members of the ELCA, we believe in living the Gospel as personified by Jesus Christ.
The ELCA confesses the Triune God — Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. In our preaching and teaching the ELCA trusts the Gospel as the power of God for the salvation of all who believe.
ELCA teaching or theology serves the proclamation and ministry of this faith. It does not have an answer for all questions, not even all religious questions. Teaching or theology prepares members to be witnesses in speech and in action of God’s rich mercy in Jesus Christ. – from the ELCA website
Our Mission Statement
Grounded in Christ’s love,
Holy Nativity Lutheran Church is a welcoming community
dedicated to helping all know God’s love
through worship, service, and fellowship.
A Brief History of Holy Nativity Lutheran Church
On May 15, 1957, the United Lutheran Church in America (U.L.C.A.) initiated the process of establishing a new Lutheran Church in the New Hope/Crystal area. The following year, Rev. James Clement began the task of calling and inviting area residents to become part of a Mission Church. Sixty people attended the first Holy Nativity Lutheran Mission Church worship service at the Edward D.Neil School on April 20th, 1958. On November 30th, the Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws and Constitution were adopted, and a Church Council was elected.
December 7, 1958 was Charter Sunday, when Holy Nativity became a congregation of the U.L.C.A. (UnitedLutheranChurch in America). Charter membership at the time was 131 people.
On May 28, 1961, ground was broken at 3540 Winnetka Avenue N. for the first building.
In January of 1962, the U.L.C.A. entered a merger to become the Lutheran Church in America, which located its national office in New York City. This meant Holy Nativity was one of the congregations making up the Minnesota South Synod of the L.C.A.
By 1964, Holy Nativity membership was 1,141 people. Ten years later, in 1974, membership records show 1,689 baptized members.
In 1988, the L.C.A. entered a merger to become part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, headquartered in Chicago. Holy Nativity is now one of 167 congregations currently identified in the Minneapolis Area Synod of the E.L.C.A.
In January of 1990, the property and building at 3540 Winnetka was sold. “Groundbreaking” for relocation to 3900 Winnetka Avenue N. took place in March that year. Dedication for the “new” Holy Nativity building was December 9, 1990.
In the spring of 2001, a “Building on the Promise” Building Fund Appeal was made for expansion. “Ground blessing” for 4,800 square foot expansion and remodeling of worship, education and fellowship areas took place in May of 2002. Building expansion was completed in October of 2002.
One further addition was placed on the Holy Nativity property during the 2008-09 year. Construction began for the ‘Columbarium and Memorial Garden’ in September of 2008. As Holy Nativity has no investment in any cemetery, the decision was made to put in place a facility for both the repository of ashes and the placing of memorials plaques for members, friends and families buried elsewhere. This addition was dedicated in June of 2009.